Dear Readers, Pune women Gauri Shah who was 41 years old software professional worked in a premier company in Pune. She exercised regularly and was a fitness enthusiast. Does Bottle Gourd Juice Really killed her?
Her day starts with cycling or long runs. While she was returning to her home from the long run, she would stop at any juice center to have a glass of bottle gourd juice. For many years this was her unwavering routine.
But this glass of bottle gourd juice, which has been touted as an excellent remedy for so many ailments including heart disease and diabetes, proved to be fatal few days ago for Gauri shah.
“On 12th June after having bottle gourd juice within half-an-hour she developed severe vomiting and loose motions. Rapidly her condition worsened over the next three days. On 16th June midnight she succumbed to complications,” one of her family friend said.
Does Bottle Gourd Juice Really killed her?
After running for 5 KM in the morning she had a glass of bottle gourd juice at 9.30 AM and within half-an-hour developed severe vomiting loose motions on 12th June 2018.
While going to the office she vomited in the car and returned home immediately. The physician who treated her said, later she had severe loose motion.
She felt pain in the abdomen, also developed breathlessness and had an episode of convulsion. Around 1.30 pm she was rushed to a private hospital. By the time she reaches there, she lost consciousness and had a cardiac arrest, the physician said.
During the treatment, she was on ventilator support for two days.
Initially, her condition was improving. On 15th June Friday, she developed bleeding in the brain. The bleeding was taken care of promptly. But again she developed bleeding in the brain and this time, it was out of control and she could not be survived. After two days on 16th June, she succumbed to multiple complications, including vital organ dysfunction.
Pune Critical expert Kapil Borawake said,”it is not the single case in the city about bottle gourd poisoning. I see every year around one or two cases.
Quite very few people take bottle gourd juice in Pune. If bottle gourd juice tastes bitter people should avoid it. But so many people are not aware of this fact.
What happened to this Pune woman could happen to anyone, anywhere since consuming bottle gourd in the morning, on an empty stomach has become a ‘healthy habit’ for so many people in Indian country.
Heath complications in several cases, which followed to death by the consumption of bottle gourd juice have been already reported in India.
Never Drink Bottle Gourd if it tastes bitter
Indian Council of medical research (ICMR) formed an expert committee in 2011 ruled that people should not consume bottle gourd juice if the taste is bitter. The bitter bottle gourd contains compounds that cause complications and leads to death.
Poisoning bottle gourd poses a diagnostic dilemma before treating doctors. Often it is confused with gastrointestinal sepsis. Mainly the treatment is supportive and symptomatic. For this type of poisoning, there is no antidote, which is caused by Cucurbitacin compound, this poisonous compound is often seen in the bitter bottle gourd.
In other vegetables like cucumber, squash, pumpkin, kakdi, eggplants or brinjal, melons and gourds this compound is found.
Never consume if you find any of these vegetables/salads taste bitter.
Do let me know your views on the topic in the below comment box.